Friday, November 16, 2007

Citabria: $84.00 an hour. Includes fuel. (100 octane low-lead at I'm guessing 5.00 a gallon)

Instructor: $42.00 an hour.

Total: $126.00 an hour.

Hours required for certification: 40
Hours it will probably take: 55

Total cost: $6930

And I took out a 4,700 dollar loan about five months ago and have paid off about 1/6 of it on my current income. Five months, 700 bucks. So supposing I have that loan off my back (which might happen within a year as I leverage the dregs of my savings), I will be able to afford one hour of instruction per month. One hour. Yuck.

It will take me, oh, three and a half years to get my private pilot's license. My private pilot's license! And that's only the beginning!

So what does a dream cost? I've just found out. More than I can spend unless I rob a bank. America has always been the place where one is supposed to be able to realize dreams, but there is a difference between absolutely attainable and practically attainable. Perhaps I...

damn it. there must be a reason why the only thing I want to do is impossible.

2 comments:

mags said...

Not impossible! Pray about it; eventually you'll find a way. That and think about it- a pilot's license!! SWEET!

You're very much not alone in chasing seemingly hopeless dreams. Max touches on this in a way that made me smile: http://maxwellmurders.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-stay-motivated.html#links

And he's right... don't give up...
Money is an obstacle, not a road-block.

phil said...

http://www.dosomethingamazing.com/

[not smirking as I post this. OK, maybe a little bit]