Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The tobacco shop huddled darkly next to the glaring red stoplight set off the bright white t-shirt of the teenager pedaling a very familiar bicycle.  It still has those $70 saddlebags I bought four years ago.  With sudden recognition I averted my face as the light changed green and the whole intersection got an immediate earful of angry v-twin.  It's been half a year and it still pisses me off.  I don't have information to prove the machine is mine, so even if I WERE to go all ape and confrontational and shit there would be no way to follow through.  I should have filed a police report.  I should have cared.  This is how I protect my stuff, this is how I defend myself....by convincing myself that at the time that it didn't matter, it's only a 400-dollar bicycle and I'm way to busy to worry about something I hardly ever used....

...only a 400-dollar bicycle....

....so what will it be next, coward? what will it be next? Your mailbox? Your wallet? Your motorcycle? Your girlfriend?


No comments: