Tuesday, October 16, 2007

sleeping

I should be sleeping

It's been a crisp fall day with enough moisture in the air to dampen the view of local mountain peaks. Walking back to the motorcycle shop from the Habit hamburger joint after a satisfying lunch, I had memories of my twelve-year-old self striding along bumpy dirty grass, paper glider in hand, trying to get some distance between the fence over here and the trees over there so I could launch the thing and hope for some decent glide times....swwwooosh click stopwatch beep beep beep beep

thirteen seconds

damn

this thing needs some adjustment

And I run over to the tall grass where the glider has landed and I collect it and walk back to the clear area for another try. Maybe fourteen seconds this time.

It's a GLORIOUS day outside, the air smells like dust and leaves and coldness and I don't even have to think about math homework!

The ride back to work on the freeway, new tire on the front rim, was clear and cold and that wonderful autumn invigoration persisted. I love fall. I really love fall...I like to see the cobalt blue profile of my motorcycle reflected in the side of tanker trucks, like I loved to watch the slim white profile of the paper airplane slicing through the sky....now I glide on freeways, with the wind chuddering against my knees instead of running across grass with the wind lifting the airplane in my hand....life changes in funny ways like that.

ok, now I'm going to sleep. Now.

2 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

You have such a way with words - that's exactly how I feel about fall, too. It will probably be many years before I see it again . . .