Sunday, December 09, 2007

Lectures on the Philosophy of Religion

G.W.F. Hegel

What object we have before us in the philosophy of religion

I. The relation of the philosophy of religion to its presuppositions and to the principles of the time
1) The severance of religion from the free worldly consciousness
2) The position of the Philosophy of Religion relative to Philosophy and to Religion
a. The attitude of philosophy to religion generally
b. The relation of the philosophy of religion to the system of philosophy
c. The relation of the philosophy of religion to positive religion.
d. The relation of the Philosophy of Religion to the Current Principles of the Religious Consciousness
e. Philosophy and the Prevalent Indifference to Definite Dogmas
f. The Historical Treatment of Dogmas
g. Philosophy and Immediate Knowledge

3) Preliminary Questions
4) Division of the Subject
a. The General Notion or Conception of Religion
b. The Moment of Universality
c. The Moment of Particularity, or the Sphere of Differentiation
d. The annulling of the Differentiation, or Worship
e. Of Judgment, or Definite Religion
f. Revealed Religion

No, I'm not crazy. I really want to know what he thinks. I really care. Hegel is key. Without Hegel I will never attain the basic understanding of modern theology that I seek.

So prepare yourselves for a drier, healthier, less practical more theoretical more philosophical bent to this journal. The imagination has been joined by the mind. (It's about damn time, really.)

Further discussion on the Annulling of the Differentiation to come. I need to work this out.

2 comments:

LiLosSoljr said...

oi...

but seriously - props to you... I don't think I'd want to touch the stuff right now...

Emily said...

hmmm . . . well, I think getting a well-rounded feel for Hegel is central to understanding people who are *wrong*, so don't hurt yourself. I think understanding Newman is more central to understanding what's right . . . Nevertheless, studying influential thinkers is always an admirable thing to do - I'd have to agree with lilossoljr though. I wouldn't want to touch it. BLEH :P