Thursday, December 20, 2007

Emptiness means safety...

Twin orange ticked dials peer up at me from underneath water drops...the blue dot signifying "brights" casts a magenta aura from the windshield over everything.  As long as there is room to disappear, there is a place to hide.

two lines painted down the middle /

of the county road /

disappears like an old time riddle /

the black damp curtain of the night air washes up over my exposed neck and up my pants legs. I shiver in the cold underneath my stuffed clothing. The left side blinker wakes up.  blink. blink. blink.  No traffic in either direction.   No life, only silence and rain....the air smells of mud and damp sage.

would you pass the guitar around /

glare black twists around the naked white cliff as I let go the clutch.  The reflection of my approaching headlights shimmers a path straight into the rocks.  Swing it, swing the path towards that emptiness alongside the cliff...emptiness is good, it means safety.  If you can't see where you're going, you'll be all right.   The time to start worrying is when your future is staring you in your face like that granite friggin' cliff.

she took the girl left the cradle /

coffee spilled on the kitchen table /

it's been a long day.  Long, frustrated, ill and cold.  Forget it, leave me my wet road home and pocket full of bills and head full of nonsense, it's better that way....

(lyrics by Nancy Griffith, "Other Voices Other Rooms")

No comments: