Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Earlier this afternoon I set off from work wondering if I'd still be dry when I got home.  According to my experience the more complicated and patchwork any solution is, the more likely it is to fail.  And my solution to how to stay dry on a motorcycle in the pouring rain is patchwork indeed.

First, there's my helmet and jacket and gloves.  

The full-face helmet design keeps out the water.   It works.  Nuff said.

The jacket is waterproof.  It works too.  I just have to remember not to put anything in its pockets because the outer carbolex layer to which the pockets are attached gets soaked through instantly.

My $50 Alpinestars waterproof gloves are not waterproof.  They keep my hands dry for about an hour and then some pinhole leak on the throttle glove begins to soak the goretex lining.  Then I have one gooey cold hand and one dry warm hand.

The pants are superlight and superthin rain pants by Sierra Designs.  They are designed to literally pack into the hip pocket of your jeans.  Quite a feat if you ask me, but they're not durable, they're only 33 inches on the inseam and they slowly leak at the crotch.

To address the fact that the pants aren't nearly long enough, I have gaiters.  These things sit down around my ankles and have stirrups that hold them firmly atop my waterproof hiking boots.

The assembly keeps me surprisingly warm and dry.  For the most part.  But I am in a perpetual quest for some decent 36" inseam rain pants so I can dispense with the clumsy gaiters.  If any of you know where such a thing may be found please let me know.

No comments: