Saturday, March 15, 2008

The ancient Honda motorcycle puttered past me toward the Mission, the rider all but invisible behind the gigantic blue Tupperware container lashed to the back seat.

"Check out that rig," I said to no one in particular.  "That dude's got it figured.  Hey!  That's me in a couple years," I pointed out the disappearing contraption to my companions.

"Yes, that is you.  I can see you right now riding down the street with a gigantic milk crate strapped to your back".  The Sprit laughed and with a knowing look turned back toward the rows of roses. I hopped up on the low rock wall and began to walk along it.

*****  TWO YEARS LATER *****

I rolled the shopping cart next to the bike and heaved the box onto the back seat.  Honeywell 16" High Velocity Stand Fan the box said.  It was 3" longer than the amount of space on the rear seat, alloted by the tail box.  Damn. I guess I could squeeze in there and still drive.  The box stuck out on either side by a good four inches or so.

I opened the tailbox, pulled out my assortment of bungee cords, and looked up.  There was an old man in the red Mercedes parked across from me, watching me with quiet curiosity.  I went to work, lashing the massive (and heavy) cardboard box to the area available.  The coffeemaker box went on top of that.  (Technically I could have squeezed that one into my tailbox, but this was easier)  

Load lashed securely to the pillion seat, I high-kicked myself into the remaining upside-down wedge of seat.  Aah, this was very uncomfortable.  Start the bike - shift into first - pull away into the street.  Definitely awkward.  But I can shift, I can steer, I can move, I just have to sit up very straight.  Smiles showed on the faces of people waiting to cross the walk zone in front of the Target.  Yeah, I guess I look like a bum.  A very uncomfortable bum. The front of the pelvic saddle was definitely not designed to hold up my whole weight in this fashion on this uncommonly hard front edge of the seat.

I maneuvered out to the main road.  So this is how it is when one can't borrow a car.  I watched my rearview mirrors for the expressions on the faces in the car behind me.  I'm being far too self conscious about this....

...ha, suck it ya'll who say motorcycles are impractical!  I've got a freaking floor fan lashed to the back of my bike, and it'll stay there till I get home!.....

(It did stay there, up to and including about 85 mph. I'm still sore, but I now have a floor fan AND an automatic coffeemaker and I think of the Sprit and her serious look and I smile)

No comments: