Friday, March 28, 2008

Twenty minutes to go before lunch, hamstrung at the desk until then. My mind travels back to the white, late model 330i that paced me all the way through town this morning and then all the way up the highway at just extralegal speeds when I wanted to be way extralegal. He (middle aged and balding) insisted on taking his own reasonable time completely ignoring the gigantic evil headlights weaving back and forth in his sideview mirror. Most people pull the hell over. He wouldn't budge. I debated doing a disused trick: a quick pass on the inside of a curve, gambling on no oncoming traffic. In the end I didn't.

It's those small things, the small annoyances like this that keep one alive to ride another day.

3 comments:

Emily said...

You know what? That very well could have been me. I relish making people who want to speed like demons go about 8 mph over the speed limit - no more, no less. Happens all the time out here in Florida. What I want to know is, why on EARTH must people go so horrible fast all the time? I mean, really, going the speed limit isn't going to kill *anybody* - - moreover, here in Florida, they make megabucks off of traffic violations. There is literally a cop on every other corner down here - these get nailed, and very often, and they STILL won't stop driving like bats out of hell.
Paying for speeding tickets is an awful waste of money, if you ask me . . .

tasik said...

I was sorta late for work...

Emily said...

Oh. Well, okay . . . that I can understand a little better. I'm . . . often late for work . . .

Fortunately, there are no speed restrictions on a bicycle, because I am often riding it as fast as I can. :)