Friday, April 11, 2008

'Lost' is skipping and mistracking on me, and my computer's all dood, yo' only gots thirdy-fi' minutes lef' so give it up already.

Also I found out today that not only is machinery aware of my existence, but Highway 33 which I once took for a very dead, very inanimate strip of asphalt is also conscious of me.  It likes to be ridden hard except where its icy and cooperates nicely as long as I am talking to it (via twistgrip).  But the minute I stop paying attention it will throw me off it and look at me as if I betrayed it.  However if I were to stop paying attention and get thrown off, I would be too dead to care.  So it doesn't matter.

Had convergence today (an experience involved in riding 33 hard).  It went like this:

Tanker truck crawls up hill at 25 mph.

Blue motorcycle buzzes back and forth in tanker truck mirror like an angry hornet.

Tanker truck pulls over half off the road into a turnout without stopping.

Large cleft rock approaches at end of turnout.  Tanker truck begins to pull back into the lane.

Blue motorcycle, riding centerline, comes abreast of truck.

Road curves left between approaching rock cleft.

Blue motorcycle notes approaching rock at end of turnout, notes closing gap between truck, rock and curve.

Blue motorcycle drops a gear or three and launches.  Small rocks cascade down onto the road behind it. Tanker truck pulls back fully into lane just in time to miss blue motorcycle.

Blue motorcycle meditates on mortality for about twenty seconds till the next curve comes up.

2 comments:

Geoffrey said...

DUDE! What the ****?!?!?!
Be careful out there.

tasik said...

Well it was an awkward situation. The trucker was graciously doing what he could to let me by, but as I was concentrating on the fog line in my own curve, I didn't quite notice his gesture of courtesy till the last second, so I had to pull through quickly.

(uh, rest assured I don't do this all the time)