Thursday, September 25, 2008

"And who is my neighbor?"

Someone once warned me that if I became mired in the science of religion I would defeat its purpose. It's very frustrating. Whether one lives with respect to the whole or with respect to the parts...it's a no-win scenario, for the whole lives in the parts without giving up its fundamental unity. This is an impossible task for deduction, analysis, the picking apart of a thing into its component parts.

The Church has no component parts. It has "members". An analogy cannot even be made to the body and its limbs because those may be broken apart and identified without destroying the whole. The Church may not be named without naming the whole, nor may the whole be named without naming the part for it is One and without division or separation.

The abstract consideration of, and action toward, the whole as such seems to undermine its life force. Consideration of the whole-without-part leads to a mindless slavery to Law at the expense of the Spirit.

The concrete consideration of the part, of the "neighbor" and daily duty would seem to contribute to the life of the whole, and a contribution to life is certainly commanded by Christ. Consideration of the part without whole, however, leads to a spirit of obedience such that results in misplaced trust and consequent blindness to the good of the whole. What man, focusing on his corner of the universe, his circle of needy, can possibly look beyond it? What responsibility does he bear to the rest of the Church? In short, what is his place among his neighbors?

What then is the meaning of duty for the Member? How must he live his life that he excludes blindness yet does not overstep obedience; that he lives by Spirit yet remains loyal to Law?

Loyalty and obedience; turned from virtue to scourge by modernism, which wields them with vast casualty against an unwitting Church to this day. There is an intense atmosphere of loyalty that I've struggled through for years that runs deeper than any other collective virtue I've known (if one may speak of collective virtue); yet I do not know whether to call it virtue or foolishness. All I know is that I cringe whenever I hear mention of loyalty in newsletter or speech. I cringe because I know what it means and where it leads and I begin to understand the weeping of Christ over Jerusalem....

No comments: