Sunday, September 28, 2008

The quilted polyester was stifling in the unseasonably warm September sun.  The road was radiating black tar smell and flies hovered in the tree shadows.  I've been getting a bit "over" motorcycling lately; I've been doing it too much.  WAY, way too much hollow-eyed, jaw-rattling freeway, too much stoplight clutch-hand cramping, there is a rattle noise from the engine I've been told not to worry about that's become REALLY irritating, and, well, just all the damn running around for practical purposes is getting old.  Even my geeky old refuge of playing space invaders with holes in traffic and squeezing 3 more mpg by short shifting 500 rpm, has gone.

In short, I really had to debate with myself whether to go for a fun ride on a clear-as-a-bell fall day.  Had to debate whether to nap, read or ride.  I napped while deciding.

Two hours later there I was, hell-bent sideways on a 65mph sweeper on my favorite backyard road: Hwy 33.  This is where I come to remind myself that the V-Strom is a sport-bike, too; that I needn't convince myself beyond hope of doubt that it's just a gas-saving econo-truck.

I set about reminding myself while not revving things through the roof of my mouth.  The scenery along this road is perfect, it really is, for doing speed and road-test stuff.  The picture changes from sage-brush covered cliffs and creekbed and tunnels at the bottom, to twisted, gaunt northern trees and naked rock at the top.  It begins to look like Iceland or something that ought to be driven by with Sigur Ros in the earbuds.  Great valley sweeps swing into view, mountain ranges on either hand trailing to infinity with a thin thread of asphalt snaking along between them, a tiny speck of motorcycle buzzing along that like an insignificant insect.

I practiced emergency braking in curves.  Funny how good brakes on motorcycles are.  A quick grasp of two fingers on my right hand promptly dislocates my eyeballs (no, I kid not: a front wheel on verge of lockup produces serious facial pain).  If there was a rabbit THERE snap squeeze owwwww bounce chirp HERE.  The rabbit is safe.

I was able to cure the unwanted neutral problem between first and second gear by readjusting the shift lever; but the false neutral between fifth and sixth gear is a mechanical problem that can't be cured by an adjustment.  It only happens occasionally, and less than it used to; and it's more an embarassment than a problem; one is occasionally suprised by a zing to 8000 rpm when it should have been 6th gear, and reacts by re-slamming the lever which bangs everything back into place.

Curve after curve, swing after swing, picking out the perfect line like a searchlight in fog.  This thing truly is balanced nicely, all I have to do is get a new front tire.  Got some headshake.  The handlebars oscillate when I let off the throttle and that's because the front tire is worn out.  I grind lower and lower to the ground, feeling the sides of my boots scrape along the flying asphalt.  I really miss sledding as a kid, having the ice and snow skitter past my chin four inches away.  I don't miss getting road-rash on my face from the snow, though, the times when it went wrong. Nor do I fancy getting road-rash on my face from actual road.  One must never ride as fast as one can, on public roads.  There are too many hazards; gravel, birds, pedestrians, gravel, oncoming traffic, gravel, fallen rock, gravel, sand....I wonder if that fork-brace will really improve the handling noticeably? I can't say as that I notice a lot of float and the shaking bars aren't helping, nor is the numb front tire.  I suppose I'd have to go with new springs and heaver fork oil to really make a phenomenal, outlook-changing experience.  But if I redo the suspension then it would be a street-bike, not a go-anywhere anypurpose thing anymore. Not that I really go anywhere except street.  There isn't anything public BUT street around here.

On the way back, at the top of the Grade, I pull over to check my cell-phone messages and noticed that I'd ground some more rubber off the sides of the tires.  Now I'm down to 1/8 inch from the edge of the sidewall.  Maybe I WAS pushing things a bit.


No comments: