Friday, November 10, 2006

I successfully completed the MSF Basic RiderCourse last weekend. I highly recommend it; it's fast paced, but fun, and you learn to do just about any low-speed maneuver you want to do with a street bike. You learn to swerve, u-turn, ride over 2x4's, and stop fast. Well, sort of fast. We didn't actually do any threshold braking where you get up to speed then haul it down at the squeal limit. But we did practice fast stops in turns, the whole straighten-up, square-bars and hammer the brakes. We were taught never to brake where the bike isn't perpendicular to the ground, always turn the head in the direction we want to go, always downshift while braking, so on etc and so forth.

I passed the final riding test with zero points (points are negative), and was given a completion card by Bob who had to stand on a chair to reach (all the MSF instructors' names are Bob. If anyone messes up, it's Bob's fault.)

Now all I need to do is carve a sliver out of next week and go to the DMV and get my motorcycle endorsement. The light approaches from the end of the tunnel...

I also bought my upper-body armor and jacket. Elbow guards, armored vest and a plain old cortex jacket. Now I'm covered with more armor than an LA cop. Nothing fancy, although I did spend time staring wistfully at the $500 Italian leather togs...

All's I need now is knee armor, rainproof pants, some kind of neck protection, and boots.

Oh yes, and a motorcycle. That part of it is...uh, not progressing....

And my muse is lost in the desert. I hope she finds her way out of it soon, because I'm getting frustrated...

1 comment:

Adeoamata said...

Congrats. Don't get killed.