Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Fieldsheer pants arrived last night.  They are longer than my regular jeans, and provide as much coverage as I can reasonably ask of non-tailored pants.  Very, very sturdy nylon construction.  I feel like I got my $189 worth.

Speaking of cash outlay for gear, it is said that one spends $2000 on one's first motorcycle and at LEAST $1000 on gear.

So far:

$99 jacket (cheap due to polyester construction; I love it, but now that I've wised up to this polyester/nylon thing replacement is imminent.  When I have the money.)

$160 helmet.

$29.99 gloves.
$79.99 gloves.
$49.99 gloves.

$160 boots.

$100 torso armor
$50 elbow armor
$50 knee armor

$90 riding jeans with kevlar knees
$90 .....

Aforementioned Fieldsheers.

Another helmet for passenger doesn't count cause I don't wear it.

Grand total: $1,147.97

And I just bought another pair of riding jeans because I'm unhappy with one of the two I have. Both pairs are slightly short in the inseam, but one of them has this odd anomaly I only noticed today.  One leg is shorter than the other. I mean, how do you make pants with one leg shorter than the other??  It's like half an inch short on the left leg!  I also had to have them modified beyond belief since they only came in Long in some gigantic waist size.  So I can't return them. Not a happy investment overall.  (But they're better than Levis)

So that's gonna add 90 bucks.

I have to buy a mesh jacket for the summer.  $150-200.  Suffering through last year incased in a waterproof suit of plastic that is my current cheapo jacket was not pleasant.

Then eventually a leather jacket, the ultimate status symbol of motorcycling.  The final initiation into serious ridership.  That's gonna set me back 500 green ones.

So yeah.  Two thousand bucks.

But how much does human skin, blood and artificial titanium bones cost, at the hospital, eh?


(Answer: about $100,000.00 by some reports, with associated complications)

3 comments:

mags said...

That's a good point you make there: preventative measures are clutch.

File your taxes. That should help pad some of your expenses.

tasik said...

I did. I'm anxiously waiting for that federal gift-wrapped $600.

mags said...

Eeeexcellent.