Wednesday, February 13, 2008

New favorite phrase: "yucca garden".

Nothing evokes California to me like that phrase.


I didn't mention that on that journey through candyland I did find the neatest ol' road I ever did see.  This road kicks Mulholland's ass up and down the street.  It's called, uh, what was it called?  Anyway it goes up the mountains that castle Santa Barbara.  It has twists and turns that defy gravity, as the old Hot Wheels advertisements used to say.  It also has one or two overlooks, littered with enough broken CD's, Tecate cans, stuffed animals and ragged lingerie to indicate that this was somebody's juvenile fun place.  Averting one's eyes from the ground, however, one is treated to one of the best views of Santa Barbara there is.  A sweeping panorama takes in the entire pocket of coastline, tens of miles in either direction.

2 comments:

mags said...

Once I finish chuckling I fully intend to protest the use of the words "stuffed animals" and "ragged lingerie" in the same sentence...

tasik said...

You'd have to have been there....