Monday, February 04, 2008

Real problem, cheaper solution


Well, I lost patience over the last rainy weekend having to change pants twice a day. When the sky broke open one saturday I skipped down to Cycle Gear in Oxnard and ordered up some FG Air overpants. They were too short, and I discovered a company called Fieldsheer that actually makes a tall size with a claimed inseam of 37" !!!!!

I'm a fan. Forward thinking, these people. I ordered a pair and am waiting on the call to pick them up.

Yeah yeah, they're $80 cheaper than the custom Cycleport ones I was going to have tailored to me, and they won't fit as well, but ... I'm not ordering them online either, so I can work with the dealer if they don't fit or I don't like them.

Oh yea, and apparently not all 600 denier fabrics are created equal. It is bruited about that polyester weave has little tensile strength compared to nylon, which worries me riding around in my 99 dollar Carbolex jacket (100% poly says the tag). It looks like Suzi is gonna have to sit in the garage a few months longer till I get my gear issues sorted.

$300 for a jacket vs. $10,000 for skin grafts: that's what we're looking at here. Problem is, I'm reluctant to admit I made a bad investment in cheap gear in the beginning (ignorance is bliss, truly) and don't want to have it laying 'round unused taking up space...

At least the pants have a 1000 denier (thicker) nylon shell, it ought to hold up. What I need to do is find a mesh jacket with leather panels on the back and shoulder for this summer (Cortech GX Air? 200 bucks) and then next fall I'll just have to buy another better jacket to replace my beloved Tourmaster Jett. Or maybe someone will further inform me about exactly what the hell Carbolex fabric IS, and it will be fine, and I won't have to worry.....

Anybody know anything about plastic fabric? I purposely avoid leather because it's hot, heavy, not waterproof, can't be thrown in the wash machine and is hella expensive (although not nearly as much as aforementioned skin grafting)

No comments: