Wednesday, October 01, 2008

it is hot.

I can't sleep.

I ca-a-a-n't sle-e-e-p.

it is ten thirty at night.  There is nothing more I need to do but go to bed (BUT I CAN'T SLEEP).  My coffee-maker is all set up and programmed to start at 7:30 am so I don't have to fumble about in the freezer for coffee-grounds.  The bowls and spoons for breakfast are washed.

The night noises filter in through the open door.  A pickup truck revs its engine, stops and the noise of squealing rubber fills the silence as it takes off down the street.  Some kid getting all excited.  One can hear the occasional yelling from across the street, a child crying.  Boys on skateboards rattling along the sidewalk in the dark, pushing and mocking each other.

Someone's timer goes off next door.

It is quiet.  The screen glows peacefully to itself.  So many things I didn't get done today and that I won't get done tomorrow unless this heat wave breaks and I feel capable of doing something other than sit collapsed in my desk chair all evening...If I was someplace humid I'd be positively dead right now...

No comments: