Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I had a lovely Christmas with my San Diego family; my sleep deprivation melted away (or at least settled to the far background) in the topsyturvy bustle of a large household in which everyone including the (barely familiar) visitor is expected to make dinner. Chaos insued; but due to the apparently bottomless patience of these amazing people, it was pulled off (uh, searching for correct adjective; coming up short for correct adjective) ...well. And the food was good.

After supper we went to view the local Christmas light extravaganza, on foot, me with little girl on my shoulders and her scarf wrapped around my neck - it made an awfully effective rein...

Friends swelled the numbers after we got back home, and we made it a night of Irish music and dance. It's odd, there is so much talent buried in these little gatherings, so much talent that won't see the light of day except in the living room, and perhaps it is best that way.

Once we wore our feet out, we settled down to the Christmas tradition in this household: a 500-piece puzzle carefully sorted into three sections.

I finally left at eleven after trying for an hour. Oh, there's more I have to say and can't say it. I'm unsure how to take this blessing: I can never tell the difference between a blessing or a cross in disguise....

2 comments:

Adeoamata said...

(waiting patiently)

Emily said...

I'm glad to hear you had such a nice Christmas, Ziggy. Everyone should have a warm family to fall back on for the holidays - even if it's not their very own. Cross, blessing, or both - whatever your estimation calculates - I'm glad for you, my friend.