Friday, December 15, 2006

part deux

I had to pick up some highlighters, as I was out of them.

I found my desired el cheapo brand and made beeline to the express lane to make my $1.60 purchase. The cashier took a second look at me, a towering mass of cordura and plastic armor. "You a motorcyclist?"

"Yes" - poking my card in the slot - "I am."

"What kind of motorcycle"

"I uh, I ride an 82" - the machine spits out my card; I key the pin - "Suzuki GS1100."

"Ah. I ride Harleys. I like them."

I looked at her again. She was probably younger than I was, but didn't have a lot of piercings.

"Mm. I like my Suzuki....it's reliable..... gets good gas mileage....."

"Have a good day."

"Yeah, you too."

I think I have unwittingly taken my place in a new strata of society. Motorcycling is indeed a way of life, as I'm coming to learn, and those who ride come to know those who ride...(especially when those who ride have to walk around everywhere looking like, well, bikers...)

It should be interesting. It's kind of cool. We'll see what happens.

My question right now is this: Are Harley drivers and Jap drivers supposed to, well, get along?

I mean, is this like Chevy vs. Honda? What's the etiquette is in this strange new society? Am I supposed to even give the wave to these Harley dudes? So many new things to learn about...

3 comments:

Remey said...

You're a Catholic motorcylist. What'd you think you need to do? :P

-Remey

tasik said...

:)

I have a Miraculous Medal and St. Benedict medal wrapped on a chain on the handlebars...

And I wave at everyone. If that's inapropo, I invoke my rural breeding.

Noli said...

you should mention that you are a TERRIFYING looking biker. John's face when he opened his door to see a massive helmeted mountain was priceless. We all definitely thought we were about to die :P